Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Remembering Granny

My Granny had Alzheimer's and had it for a couple of years. She had been in a nursery home. My mom was the one that was always there for her, she took care of her finances and even though she lives in Michigan for part of the year she was always there for my granny. Mom had gotten a phone call about a month ago and they told her granny wasn't doing well and didn't know how much longer it would be, so my mom drove all the way to Florida alone to see her mom for a few days. Sunday October 6th God called her home...my mom was very upset and torn. She had thought she would have been ready for this but she said "I guess your never prepared". My parents got on the road immediately after they received the phone call...they arrived in Florida Monday. My parents stayed with her step dad (Neil) which is the sweetest man you will ever meet, his voice kinda reminds me of Barney you know the dinosaur. Anyways, my mom and my aunt Charline starting preparing for the bereavement. I had asked my work if I was able to get time off work to go down and be with my family and they were more than kind. So Ray and I got on the road early Thursday morning...and arrived that night around 8PM. The service wasn't until Saturday but we wanted to get there early to help and since it was a long drive (10hrs). My brother and his family drove down from NC and arrived Friday morning. We spent most of our time fishing in the back yard where my granny lives (to keep our minds occupied). The girls really enjoyed it. Courtney the 11yr old really is a true fisherman, she was out there until wee hours in the night mostly like 9:30 or so. I also brought my Halloween crafts to keep the kids entertained. Saturday morning was the service...my brother and I drove in 2 separate vehicles. We met at Neils house (my granny's) and followed my parents to the funeral home. Well on the way it was rainy so heavily... it felt like a hurricane or something the roads were flooding and my little car going through all that water...GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? My serpentine belt fell off, my battery light came on, the temperature started rising, and the power steering went out. Well stupid me turns off the vehicle at the stop sign thinking that would fix it, and Ray goes what were you thinking don't ever do that when your car is acting up like this because more than likely it won't turn back on. It turned back on Thank God, but let me tell you it was so hard to steer. Pulling into the funeral home was hard especially trying to park I kept pulling ahead and pulling back, I finally got it. After the service was done my dad and uncles and cousins worked on my car. They put the old belt back on and went and bought a new belt and put that one on...isn't family great! My mom also rented out the clubhouse in their neighborhood and held a dinner...everyone brought a dish. My granny's passing was actually like a family reunion, I know that's bad to say but most of my family that came I haven't seen in like 12 years. Granny we'll miss you!











































1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post!! Sorry we couldn't talk longer the other day, since my children were screaming so loud in the car!!! I will try again soon. We still need to do skype. Carter lost one of his front teeth. He looks hilarious. I need to take a picture of him. Love you! Jess

    ReplyDelete